We want you to enjoy your beautifully transformed smile for life - but to do that, you need a retainer. At Todorthodontics Smile Studio, we provide custom retainers for each and and every one of our orthodontic patients to ensure lasting results.
Why are retainers important?
After we remove your braces or aligners, your teeth will want to shift back into their pretreatment positions. We’re sure you don’t want all your hard work undone - and a retainer will be the only thing preventing that from happening!
It’s important to follow Dr. Todor’s instructions precisely to keep your smile in alignment. You will need to wear your retainer day and night at first, but eventually can switch to night-time only wear.
Types of retainers we offer
At Todorthodontics, we offer both fixed and removable retainers.
- Fixed retainers are thin metal wires that we affix to the back of your teeth near the gumline. You won’t need to worry about losing a fixed retainer, but you should take extra care to keep it clean!
- Removable retainers at our clinic come in two types: a Vivera retainer that looks like an Invisalign® clear aligner, and a Hawley retainer, which is a more traditional plastic retainer with wires that wrap around the outside of your smile.
Dr. Todor can help you determine which type of retainer is best for you.
How should I care
for my retainer?
If you have a fixed retainer, it’s important to brush and floss carefully around the wire to prevent plaque from building up. Our team can instruct you on the best way to do this.
If you have a removable retainer, we have a few more tips for you! Such as:
- Keep your retainer in its case when not in use.
- Don’t put your retainer in a napkin - you’ll throw it away by mistake!
- Clean your retainer regularly with warm water and a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Don’t let pets near your retainer - or say goodbye to that custom fit!
- Keep your retainer away from hot windowsills and dishwashers. (The plastic can warp.)
- Tell our team ASAP if your retainer is lost or damaged so we can issue a replacement.